View Single Post
Old 04-10-11, 08:45 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Actually one can learn to be less afraid. Even scared people can learn to relax the body more. Most don't understand.
Up to a point I'd agree with you. I'm not sure that learning to be less afraid of dogs when faced with a snarling pit bull off its lead is the best way to go about it though.

If one does not want to spend time on a problem, that's a choice as well. Of course the problem will still exist in that case.
Yes, although if dogs that were so dangerously out of control were destroyed on the spot the problem would cease to exist.

Just learning more about how to deal with aggresive dogs can reduce fear. A little success will lead to less fear,. less fear leads to more success. It's all tied together. The end result can be a safer place to ride, not spending time with the dog. It's up to you. You have a choice.
If I wanted to learn to be less afraid of something I wouldn't want to do it in a place where my life could be seriously endangered by that something because it was out of control. I wouldn't consider it much of a solution if one person trained themselves not to fear the dangerous pit bull so they could walk away only to find it savaged a child who hadn't trained themselves not to be afraid of it. There's a difference between avoiding the problem in a personal sense by passing it on to the next person and solving the problem in a more permanent sense.