Old 04-11-11, 02:15 PM
NukeouT

Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Seriously...I consider these to be among the best derailleurs ever made and the VXs only weighs 211 grams which puts it very close to being race weight.

Thanks for the explanation. I will be keeping an eye out for older Vx or Cyclone derailleurs when I am at garage sales and co-ops. It's great in a way that the Suntour derailleurs were outmarketed by the competition at the time. This made them a lot more common, as their percived value was lower. It gives a viable choice for folks like me who are not willing to spend bank on a new or a Campy derailleur.

The last V-GT Luxe I pulled off, came from a horrible quality low-end Centurion LeMans. I mean the thing had been stuck upside down in dirt in an open storage barn since the 80's. It even had Dia-Compe center pull brakes that were so low end they did not have a stub & guide rail in the middle to make sure they braked straight. I'm pretty sure I was able to fix up that V-GT Luxe without knowing anything about taking apart derailleurs, and that it will now run fine for some years to come.

I have a Suntour Alpha-3040 Accushift, that moves/returns back very very slowly when the body is pulled away from the frame. Is it worth it to take the thing apart and try to fix it? Seems like a much more complex peice of technology, and I dont even plan on ever using SIS. Not to mention, its so much more complex than the V-GT Luxe I just took apart, I still have not figured out how to crack open the thing!