Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4/9/11
Turlock Lake Road Race
35 +4
Result: 2nd

Lone gunman in a race with several teams with 6 or more riders. I patrolled the front for the first 40 or so miles as my own domestique either shutting down attacks or trying to get in breakaways with the right mix. Nothing really organized. With 10 miles to go, the entire race was shut down on the road because a racer in one of the women's races had a bad crash that required a Life-Flight evacuation. I don't know any of the details, but hope she's okay. So now a 10 mile shoot out through a long series of rollers to an uphill sprint. In the final km I grab the wheel of a guy I knew to be a good sprinter. A hole opens up and he jumps through and I hold on. I almost come all the way around him, but he gets me by a wheel.

I get 2nd, break 1000W for the first time (previous high 930), and most importantly 6 precious upgrade points.

4/10/11
Pinebluff Criterium
35+ 4
result: 9th

Again a lone gunman with several teams including one with maybe 8 or 9 riders that was sending multiple riders off the front. Obligated to chase down multiple moves. Took a 3 lap solo flyer on prime hunting trip which netted a gift certificate. Recovered in time to make a run at a high finish. Was not paying attention to lap cards when bell lap was called (sitting in the back enjoying a GU gel). Scrambled through the field to get 9th. Perhaps a higher finish possible if the air traffic controller not asleep at the tower.

In Summary:
-Patrolled the front of two races and still had enough to be a factor at the end
-Earned my NCNCA Cat3 upgrade on points (12 months as a cat 4, most points have been earned in last 6 months including two road race wins)
-Lap Cards....read them.