Thread: Seat height.
View Single Post
Old 10-07-02, 03:18 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, quick-release is a must...

for downhills more than say 20% grade or large drops will stop and lower the seat all the way down. the lowered center of gravity and ability to get back behind the rear wheel plus not injuring myself on the seat in drops/jumps is a major plus.

i have had knee problems in the past so for a long climbing section i raise the seat extra high to save my knees.

here in the Alps, for most rides i can start with the seat extra high for flats and climbing, and then drop it all the way for the long steep downhills typical of the Alps. unfortunately then i cannot pedal much and/or have to stand to pedal. after the downhill i then raise to one of the other levels depending on how much technical i expect.

sometimes it's a pain to stop and change the seat height, but it really helps my downhilling and technical riding. i used to always ride with the seat low, but that made my knee problems worse...

i have 4 heights marked on my seat-post tube:
1) extra high for climbing (i have knee problems) -- maybe 1/2 to 1" high
2) optimum pedalling
3) slightly-less than optimal pedaling (for all XC or XC races where i don't change the height but still have some technical/downhill) -- about 1/2" low
4) all the way down for technical and exteme downhill -- about 5" low