Old 04-15-11, 05:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Your Size

Originally Posted by SSbalt
This all sounds very reasonable to me. Thanks for the advice - I was just getting a little worried because I'm new to this stuff, and you see posts saying how bad stock components are on these lower-end bikes.

Random observation - the bullhorn style handlebars do look a bit more comfortable for all-around riding, but like you said - I'll just have to get some saddle time in and decide for myself what I want to change or upgrade.

Question - Is there a resource(on this site or otherwise) where I can find a detailed lay out of a SS bike so I can familiarize myself with the names of all the different components? I.E. a picture of a SS with different parts labeled like the Cog, bottom bracket, crank, etc.

Also, I just measured my inseam wearing mesh shorts and it was 31.5''(very erotic), What size frame would suit me? I know I *should* go to the LBS and get fitted but I went there already and they are the pushiest sales staff I have ever encountered - and I work in sales. They basically harassed me the entire short time I was in there and I swore I would never give them any of my money. I am in the process of finding a better LBS but I would like to order a bike sooner rather than later. So bare with me.

Thanks again for answering my dumb questions, I promise to learn these things and answer other peoples' dumb questions on here down the road.
You need to find another bike shop. Tell them what you want and ask for their help, being very plain (but kind and humble) about your intentions. To learn, there are many, many books on bikes. Stop by your local full-service book shop and browse the sports section - you'll find some illustrated books. Most will not cover fixed gear/single speed bikes in any detail because these represent a niche market. Perhaps a book on track racing?

As for size, I would say that you definitely DO NOT want standover height to be your determining factor to begin selecting a comfortable size, due to your relatively longer torso. Are your arms longer, too? Based on a 6" height, I'd guess that you'd do better on a frame with a top tube between 58 and 59.5 cm, and a stem reach of about 10 or 11 cm to start. Much of this is bike geometry dependent, so you'll have to check the geometry charts on the models you're considering. This is ESPECIALLY vital if you choose to go mail order. With limited experience, you need someone to validate your size choice BEFORE you place the order. Find an experienced friend or advisor first.

Phil