View Single Post
Old 04-15-11, 10:50 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by motobecane69
Can someone better describe this situation for me? I'm working on the single cross front wheel and I fixed one mistake but I now suspect that I may have the long short long short thing going on. right now the wheel looks like 8 pairs of paralell spokes on each side. initially it looked like 8 pairs parallel on one side and the other side everything was crossed. Am I making sense here?
I described it earlier but here's another way of looking at it. If you number all the holes in sequence in the rim 1,2,3,4....32. then the numbered holes on the hub would be all even on one flange, and all odd on the other. It's important though that the flanges are phased so if you look straight across hole number 3 is exactly between holes 2 and 4, and so on.

On a radial wheel, you'd simply run spokes from the hub to the correspondingly numbered holes in the rim. Crossing changes that but the phase sequence remains the same. If you look at the so-called pulling spokes which come from adjacent holes in the rim, say the 1st to the right of the valve hole. The first one (nearer the valve), must go to the hole 1/2 position to the left (sighting across) of the of the second. The same situation repeats when lacing the pushing spokes.

You can avoid the issue by loading the 2 spokes that you plan to bring to the first 2 holes to the right of the valve first, one to each flange, remembering that you want both to be head out (per Jobst Brandt) or head in (per myself and most Europeans) Now when the hub is twisted to the right everything else will fall into place automatically.

BTW- I'm surprised that you're electing to build 1x, as this is the least popular lacing pattern and offers no real benefit. However since that's what you have in mind, remember that you shouldn't lace the inner and outer spokes over/under because the cross is too close to the hub and causes excess bend in the spokes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.