View Single Post
Old 04-16-11, 10:59 AM
Lilcphoto
My name is Alex

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Stripper in RAW, Schwinn Madison 2008 Blue, Leader 725tr, Brassknuckle, Leader 722, Traitor Ruben

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Considering how much money some people put into upgrading their BD bikes, what the OP is proposing isn't so outlandish.
I agree, new parts add up here and there... some components hold their value more than others, but putting together a custom bike with new parts seems to cost around $800+ just for basic stuff... A custom built wheelset can cost as little as $150 but thats about as low as it gets ($50 rimset, $50 hubset, $50 spokes+nipples) so $300 for all-city, deep-v, with upgraded DT spokes seems to be a good price.

There are many different ways to go about building a bike; new, used, buying complete, buying a parts bike, getting free stuff... Some bikes turn out great, while others don't turn out as nice as one hopes. It can be a very expensive hobby, and if I could reflect back on what I've spent, I really would have done things a lot differently.

You never mentioned if this is your first bike or not... If it is, I would highly suggest buying a complete, so you don't end up buying a component you wish you didn't (too long of a stem, to uncomfortable of a seat, not enough adjustments in the seatpost) . . . But if this is another bike added to the fleet and you know what you want, I say go for it and take lots of photos!