Old 04-20-11, 06:43 PM
axel
Patient Malthusian

Bikes: Dahon - Curve SL, and a Xootr Scooter Mg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming to this thread late but it seems odd that the OP v70cat and cyccommute single the Breezer Infinity out for it's weight. This is no ordinary 37lb bike. The N360 hub is a huge improvement over the N171 previous version. This hub will give a 360% range with butter smooth shifting that is ALWAYS in gear.

My 2011 Novara Transfer in large size is about the exact same weight as the Infinity. Mine just has a 7 spd Nexus (less weight), no ring lock (less weight), 700c wheels (more weight) and steel frame (more weight). Otherwise, the two bikes are comparable. I do notice the weight going up and down stairs. But actually, it is the size of the bike (with 700c wheels) that is more challenging for me to negotiate through 4 flights of narrow stairwells with 90 degree turns every half flight - than the weight. The 26" wheels of the Breezer make it a highly maneuverable yet fully equipped urban commuter.

Aesthetically, derailleurs are to IGH's as male sexual anatomy is to that of the female. The male stuff is external and therefore visible but it ain't as pretty to look at. The IGH gives you a nice smooth drivetrain that shifts with feminine grace. Males are built for speed, women are built for comfort.

Cycling where cyccommute does in very hilly parts of Colorado, I can well appreciate his preference for the lighter-weight efficiency of a derailleur. But for most people commuting in most parts of the country, I think a more reliable drivetrain means greater efficiency through all seasons.

Don't get me wrong - derailleurs aren't going anywhere. They have a secure place in cyclists hearts. But even in NYC where people have tons of disposable income, the bike shops cater mostly to spandex speed freaks, fixie hipsters and mountain bike gear geeks. Judging by the selection, you'd think K-12 was a 30-minute ride away on commuter rail. IGH's have been marginalized for decades in the States. It's about time the many recent improvements to IGH's started showing up in the US bike market.

Suburban sprawl has accustomed even hard core bike enthusiasts to the notion that you need light weight and speed because everything is so spread out. What's often overlooked is the assumption that one need live at extreme distance from their place of employment. A 20 mile commute by car is typical. To ride the same distance and back everyday by bike suggests an over-attachment to a lifestyle that only makes sense where every adult owns their personal car. When things are closer together, you start realizing that having less space for the stuff you own makes the world a more convenient place to get around. But you hardly need Manhattan densities to achieve bikeability. What you do need is a critical mass of cyclists to make drivers more aware and repectful of bikers use of the roads. Everyone benefits when roads make room for both cars and protected bike lanes, and bike shops make room for both derailleur and IGH-equipped bikes. Monocultures lead to inefficiency, waste and stagnation.

Last edited by axel; 04-20-11 at 06:46 PM.