Old 04-20-11, 09:04 PM
s34s0ns
whether man

Bikes: 197(?) Maserati MT-(?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a crack in my lug (and frame?) + other questions.

I've had this frame for about 2 years now, was storing it on hangers (from the wheels) in the garage. Due to some back problems and space issues, I never got around to working on it until now.

While messing around and tweaking it etc. I found this little crack. I can't tell if it's just the lug or also into the frame. However, I would assume that the frame would have cracked, which would in turn crack the lug (though I have no idea).

Would this be the result of someone trying to force the wrong size headset on or something else? ...I really have no idea and haven't touched the headset

The second part of my question is if this might be a safety issue, yeah it's a tiny crack, but I have no idea.

...As a secondary question, what are peoples thoughts on doing some sort of a clear coat over an old frame? there's a bit of minor surface rusting / chipped paint / and decal pealing going on. Is finishing with a clear coat a no-no for vintage bikes? or is it accepted as long as the paint is original underneath? Although I guess it doesn't matter if the frame is compromised.

Last edited by s34s0ns; 04-20-11 at 09:15 PM.