Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JayC
As an addendum to the rack post, I ended up going with a Yakima Hold Up because I needed something quick and overnight from Amazon on that behemoth was only $1.99. Sadly when it arrived and I broke the box open, the rack was busted all to hell. One of the wheel trays was cracked almost all the way from left to right and one of the aluminum beams that everything mounts to looks like someone took a hammer to it. Not exactly what I was expecting from Yakima although I guess it could have happened in transit.

I have another one on the way to me, hopefully this one is in one piece. Expect a full review shortly
You have had experience with both roof and hitch mounted racks so which do you prefer? Some prefer hitch racks because you don't need to lift the bike up on the roof. However, it is possible to get rear ended. As for roof racks, I have known people that have had their bike fly off the roof because they didn't fasten it correctly. My neighbor drove into his garage with the bike on the roof but I this is easy to prevent, put the garage door opener in the glove box or trunk.

I think I would go with a hitch rack. I have never been rear ended so the odds of getting rear ended are low.