Old 04-22-11, 05:54 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I rode today.

I rode "only" 14 miles. This was the inaugural ride on my new bike (a 2010 Gary Fisher Cronus), which I detailed in another post.

I drove to the parking lot of my company (which was closed today for Good Friday). I then spent nearly 2 hours practicing using clipless pedals, which is a completely new skill for me. I alternated cycles of practicing mounting and dismounting with longer riding spells. My company is located in Valley Forge, Pa. It is only a couple of miles away from Valley Forge National Park.

The weather today was brutal. I rode during late morning/early afternoon. The temperature was in the high 40's, with a stiff breeze. It was heavily overcast. It was just a raw day.

I did pretty well and was beginning to get the hang of it (the clipless pedals) by the time I called it quits. Like any other physical skill, it just takes practice.

Wow, what a bike. When I did get clipped in and started pedaling steadily, I could see why experienced riders all recommend the clipless pedals. The new bike is so responsive. I chose it for its stiffness--it feels like every ounce of energy I put into the pedal stroke is immediately translated into forward motion.

All in all, a very productive day. I am sure I will be sore tomorrow. It is supposed to rain all day. However, we are supposed to get a lot of breaks of sunshine on Easter Sunday. I should be able to get back on the bike then. I can't wait--in some ways, I feel as though I have been reborn.