Old 04-24-11, 07:08 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Austro Daimler Vent Noir II

I've been thinking about getting a vintage bike for a while now. I have a blinged out Tarmac SL2, so I don't actually need another road bike.

But a vintage would be something special that I could ride and really enjoy. There's something special about the right vintage bike.

But getting a vintage is a lot like buying an old car... everyone does it for a different reason and does different things with it. Some buy it to put in the garage as a trophy. Not me, I want to buy it to ride it. Some want it as a beater bike. Not me, my SL2 is my beater bike... other than being expensive, there's absolutely nothing special or irreplaceable about any single part of it. I beat the he** out of it, knowing it has no soul, it's just a convenient tool.

But not so for a great classic... I want a classic that is special and irreplaceable. And now, after a good long gestation I know exactly what I want.

I want an Austro Daimler Vent Noir II (or Aero), the smoked chrome one.

I want it in "restored condition" because although I would really enjoy restoring one, my tools and workshop for such things are 200 miles away and I simply don't have time to do it while working in NYC. To me, restored condition means it looks more or less like a bike that has been ridden and taken care of (not necc "showroom new" but I'll certainly consider one in that condition). No rust or aluminum oxidation, the metal should be polished and maintained. Not shoddy and worn out. Clean, rideable, ready to go.

My Tarmac is a 56, but I'd rather an equivalent to a 58 in a vintage, as it's a more classic fit for me.

I really want one badged for A-D rather than Puch. The classic A-D branding is something special.

I'd prefer Campy over Shimano (if such a thing is possible).

I'm not a stickler for "exact" historical accuracy or "showroom new" restorations. I intend to ride the bike, and ride it a lot. But I do want it to have whatever details made the bikes special in the first place, such as the drilled black chainrings (if they're even applicable to the vent noir II).

Now the hard part... finding it. So how do I find it?

Maybe someone here has one and the time has come to sell it? Maybe someone here knows where one is and would facilitate, and restore it if need be?