Old 04-26-11, 05:47 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by CMC SanDiego
Just bikes A-C are still listed (the others are gone now, perhaps purchased). If you are willing to spend $800 for a classic bike, you can certainly find some very nice bikes, and a couple of those look to be decent, but probably not great deals.
Bike "A" frame looks decent. It is likely the best deal if it's in good shape.
I'm not sure if value means anything here; I want to get her a nice bike. She liked the look of "A" if just for the colors (gee, I would not have to repaint!) but there would be additional cost to re-lace the wheels for 700's; I guess she could ride a short while on tubulars until I got around to it, maybe over the winter. On "Frame looks decent", other than taking a string and a measuring tape along to measure the rear triangle's straightness, what does one look for on a frame for accept/reject?

Originally Posted by scozim
Gees, loves European C&V bikes and has a '64 Sunbeam Tiger. I gotta meet you!
Sadly, you're a long way away. I am a member of the California Association of Tiger owners, you have more of them on the West coast than here in the East -- but I've never asked if any are cyclists? Not sure how much car/bike crossover there is. Back when, I used to take my gutted, lowered Datsun 510 to the bike races (bike fit where the back seat once was) and I was "that car guy". Then, I'd go to autocross races, use my bike pump to get the car to 40psi, use my bike to get around at the event, and I was "that bike guy".

Originally Posted by JohnnyBee
Good advice. Larry and I go waaaaay back.
Wow, I cannot help but wonder if we've met somewhere... does waaaaay back include the early 1970's?