Old 04-26-11, 09:33 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
There is no right and wrong here, and consumers are not magically entitled to freebies, any more than they'd be entitled to free beers at the bar.

OTOH, many shops make judicious use of freebies for minor work as builders of goodwill, and recipients of these should be appreciative of a lagniappe, and not feel entitled to it.

Eons ago when I was in retail, we stickered all the bikes we sold, and folks who rolled in one of those needing only a minor tweak often got it free. They also got priority for service having fairly quick jobs done on the spot, even if we were very busy. Without the decal things were different unless we recognized you as a regular customer, and we tended to be tighter on freebies.

A bartender friend of mine told me his rule about free drinks. Pour a freebie for a regular every once in a while and it made him feel appreciated, but if you did it too often he'd take it for granted, come to expect it, and if you didn't you were a bum (the prior freebies forgotten). I think that makes sense for the bike shop.

Freebies and beyond expectation service once in a while makes friends, do it often enough and it's an entitlement, and stopping makes enemies.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.