Old 04-26-11, 12:11 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
I think rising gasoline prices will most definitely lead to increased cycling for transport and other utility. The thing is that the US is still nowhere near having expensive gas, not even in the same as league as expensive gas. In Australia we're > US$6/Gal. and there is no sign of anyone even considering cycling, in fact cyclists are as much an out group, if not more so, than anywhere in the US.... and that was still the case a few years ago when we hit US$8/Gal. for a while.

I hope we might start seeing some attitude changes maybe at perhaps > US$15/Gal or even US$20/Gal, and even at those prices I wouldn't be one bit surprised if people would rather take a 2nd job just to pay for gas.
I have a friend who did just that, he took a second job to pay for the gas to get to his primary job. After his job moved across the bay from Tampa to St. Pete. He had also purchased an electric bike before his job had moved. It's not a Giant (or other) hybrid, rather it's more of a scouter looking bicycle with an electric motor. The pedals while functional are there more to keep it defined as a bicycle.

Seriously, I wouldn't even be surprised if people would rather go hungry or commit crime rather than give up driving. You think I'm off base here? well, as gas went up here a few years ago what increases proportionally was gas theft and I remember reading about how people cut back on healthy food opting for cheaper (per calorie) junk food to cover their gas while the number of cyclists remained proportionally the same.
Sadly, neither would surprise me either. People are willing to do just about anything in order to continue to drive. And I recall hearing about even over here in the states how as gas prices have gone up in some areas so has the theft of gas from gas stations and out of cars gas tanks.

You guys have incredibly cheap gas, at $4/gal even at $5/gal it's being practically given away.
Compared to a lot of areas around the world I'm sure that that is true.