Old 04-26-11, 03:17 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
I am only 45... just a young whippersnapper here but an old geezer to those kids in SS/FG.

Riding fixed does not mean you have to rock a monster gear, run brakeless, or build a bike that looks like it belongs at a clown convention.

An old guy, and by old I mean 80 rolled into my shop one day and he has never ridden anything but a fixed gear bike and guess he missed the memo that said variable gears are for people over 45.

Ride them sensibly and they do wonders for your conditioning, suppleness, and hell... just ride them for the fun of it.

My favourite fixed gear is a 1951 CCM... has a sensible 69 gear inches while my road fixed runs 72/80 and my fixed touring bike runs 66/74.

I ride geared bikes as well and riding fixed just adds to the overall experience.

If you can turn a pedal you can ride a fixed gear and up until the early 50's a great number of bikes were fixed gear and no-one gave this a second thought.

This bike might belong at a clown convention... but at 21 pounds helps this busted up body make it up those hills just a little easier.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 04-26-11 at 03:21 PM.