Old 04-26-11, 08:34 PM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could it be done?

Okay, this deserves its own thread. I need a new bike. I'm going to sell the Panasonic (more on to whom if all pans out, but you all know him), as my body just refuses to like a road bike. The Panasonic deserves someone who will ride it like he/she stole it, not someone who winces at the thought of it.

So... the Raleigh moves steadily toward biking perfection. Right now, it's getting new aluminum wheels and the gearing is being lowered. No doubt it will rock the casbah once it's complete in... two LONG weeks. But it isn't the perfect bike for everything. It will still be old and slow and stately. I love it, but sometimes I like a bit more zip.

I have fallen in love with this bike:
http://cremecycles.com/caferacer_lady_doppio_pearl.html

I can have it delivered to my door for just under $800. It would be, theoretically, lighter, faster and more versatile than the Raleigh, but of course, it won't be the Raleigh. Two bikes is good, no problem there.

Some of you braggarts have suggested that I can "make" a gorgeous mixte for much less, with patience and your help. So gentlemen (and ladies), let's put our money where our mouths are, shall we?

I ride a 21" Raleigh Sports. The new bike would have to be a similar size. I desire:
-- mixte frame, any year, but in nice condition. I have one bike with serious patina. I want upright, but a bit speedy.
-- more speeds. Like 7 or 8. Internally geared hub. No derailleurs, as I don't like messing with them. I want a hub like my SA 3-speed, but with more speeds.
-- aluminum wheels and reliable braking
-- fenders, rack (front or rear or both, don't care), dynohub or bottle dyno lighting (don't have a preference), chainguard, the WORKS
-- don't care on tire size, or wheel size.

It needs to ride nicely, be pretty, and haul whatever I want it to haul up substantial hills. I'm not touring, though I like to take long weekend rides. I ride at a leisurely pace even on a racing bike.

Can this be done for under $800? Are you sure? I hear a lot of: "This is easy," but I don't have a garage full of parts. I don't have a mechanic to assemble it. I have already plunked at least $500 into my Sports, what with new saddle, wheels, grips, etc. I can easily see spending way more on something that needs more work.

That Bottecchia Mixte that Henry III is selling for $75, assuming it's still available, would be a lovely starting point. Show me the money! Part this out and convince me!

Otherwise... <holding wallet in a threatening way> I'm going for NEW!