Old 04-29-11, 01:57 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Copper Triangle Gearing

I'm planning on doing the Copper Triangle this summer and I'm wondering if I need to get a mountain rear derailleur and 11-32 cassette (I'm using Shimano). I currently have a compact crankset (50/34) with 11-28 cassette. Here's a little bit about myself:

My tall at 6'5" but reasonably skinny at 185 lbs (hoping to get it to 180 lbs by the event). I played competitive sports (basketball and volleyball) so I'm athletic but was never great at endurance. I've been cycling for a few years now. I've done Squaw Pass (last fall), Lookout a few times, and the >30 mile loop around Deer Creek Canyon. Of all those High Grade road gave me some difficulty in one stretch where it got steep. I was just about to get off and rest but knowing how steep it was I knew it would be hard to start again so I pushed through. It got easier off shortly after that. The other rides I handled fine. They weren't easy but I didn't feel like I was going to die. I'll be down about 10-15 pounds from when I did High Grade last, but I am recovering from shoulder surgery. I hope it won't impact my training (I'm cleared to ride now) but it may.

Any advice on how the Copper Triangle compares?