View Single Post
Old 04-29-11, 04:21 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by calRider
I suppose I could have deployed my internet tough guy force field.
Exactly. First of all, if you're going to ride in the traffic lane, ride IN the traffic lane... not 1 or 2 feet in, but in the middle... at least the inside of the right tire track. Second, when you see there is a car in the oncoming lane and the car behind you moves out to pass, throw down a SLOW hand signal (left arm out and down at 45 degrees, palm facing back). Wave it for emphasis if need be.

Also, if you don't ride with a mirror, consider getting one. It will help you to know what's coming and anticipate what action to take.

My commute has a mile or so of country two-lane with no shoulder. I've done this several times and the cars always get the idea. When it's all clear, I wave them around. When they realize I just saved them an accident (or at least a close call), I invariably get a friendly wave back.

Don't just accept the odds that close calls (or worse) will happen. Think things through, and try to think about what you can do to minimize the danger.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 04-29-11 at 04:38 PM.