Old 05-02-11, 06:15 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
Like I've said before, just because many people do it, doesn't make it the right move. People drink and drive, does that mean it's proper?
I cover my brakes when riding drunk too

If it works for you, it works, but it is technically unsafe, and you can not, under any circumstances, retrain your instincts. That is contrary to any psychological study or belief on earth.
What about the 30+ years of empirical data I cited earlier? You should probably stop speaking in absolutes.

I, for one, will only cover my brakes if I plan on immediately using them.
Cool, I will repeat my mantra: "Whatever works for you." I trust my instincts for those unplanned moments when I need to get on my brakes the quickest.

The reaction time is literally milliseconds different between a covered brake and hands off the brake lever.
Sometimes milliseconds matter.

Not to mention if I'm on very rough terrain and have my finger over the lever and hit a bump, it is possible to mistakenly grab the brake and hurt myself by grabbing too much Saint brake at once.
If that's your problem, you're doing it wrong, and likely gripping the bar too firmly in the first place. I find that keeping my finger over the brake keeps my grip relaxed (as it should be).

If my hands are just on the grips, then it isn't physically possible to mistakenly grab the brake.
Right, and if your head is up your butt it isn't physically possible to see the light either.

If I'm on a downhill stretch where I know I'll need to be feathering, then yeah of course the lever is covered.
But what if it's "very rough terrain"?

Again, if this doesn't work for you, you don't have to do it the way I say, but I have been instructed by many motorcycle instructors that you should only be grabbing your clutch, and that same philosophy applies to anything with brakes. Not going to use them? stay away from them.
How many instructors? You take these classes (MSF I presume) frequently? I know that any instructor at a high performance school would never tell you to "only grab your clutch."

It would seem odd to clairfy at this point in the conversation, but I do want to reiterate that I'm excluding DH and similar Monster Energy Drink styles of biking from my brake covering taboo rule.
It does seem odd considering that a second ago you said your rule applies to "anything with brakes."

Reason being those guys are on the brakes so much it would take a lot of effort to actually take the hand off the brake.
This statement is so ridiculous I couldn't think of a funny retort.