View Single Post
Old 05-04-11, 03:32 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We've had excessive precipitation for several months in a row, first as snow and now as rain. We managed to break two records within four months of each other...snowiest December on record and rainiest April on record. Our spring temperatures are averaging 15 to 20 degrees below normal.

The results....most WNY farmers are three to four plantings behind schedule due to fields that resemble rice paddies. School sports and town youth sports programs have all but stopped due to submerged or water-saturated playing fields. Streams are very, very high. The Finger Lakes are dangerously high causing many new and uncharted barely submerged objects that are threatening recreational boating. There's so much moisture in the soil that there are large puddles of standing water on our sandy beach!! I'm seeing standing water where I've never ever seen it before..and I've lived here for 60 years! It's still raining.

I fear that the economic hits, ranging from agriculture to tourism and recreation are going to be numerous and very difficult to deal with.

Oh, it also makes riding much less enjoyable.

Yes, I'm getting a tad bit frustrated with all this rain.