View Single Post
Old 05-05-11, 06:38 AM
JOHN J

Bikes: giant ATX 760, Falcon Road Bike (ss) custom marinoni tourismo (full dresser) ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started off riding clipless in 1992 when the bike shop I dealt with said it was a must have. so I started off with LOOK pedals with those big red cleats that you cant walk in (clown foot ).

next I went with Time pedals that had cleats that were recessed the shoes however , well I felt like the little dutch boy, cleat didnt clunk the shoe did (I slipped on a store floor with these awful shoes, not pedal related)

then shimano SPD

finally speed play frogs (my favorite clipless)

two mishaps in all the years A) riding in winter little ice -snow , riding slow by a bank and car comes shooting out from the drive through window , split second timing I braked hard but couldn't un -clip fast enough so I went down.

B) in traffic behind Bus, bus stops quick to pick someone up, I slow down /stop but when I try to un clip my crank was loose and thus couldn't clear my foot from pedal. I went down , this one hurt and leg was black and blue for 2 weeks plus bad twist.

these events did not stop me from using clipless pedals . BUT right now I use platforms on my commute and single speed /fixie.

I was tired of having to take my shoes off before I went into house (recessed cleat still contact floors a bit) same goes for if I want to take a quick ride downtown , with clipless I have to go get the shoes ... (don't like campus pedals)

I timed my commutes (17 Mile one way) and the time is the same no matter what pedal I use. so its nice to wear keens most times , sandals in summer and hiking boots in fall /winter and what ever is on my feet for a quick ride to store. I do long rides 50+ on the platforms now too.

I have clipless On MTB still . never had an Off road mishap with clipless.

"John"

Last edited by JOHN J; 05-05-11 at 06:43 AM.