View Single Post
Old 05-06-11, 01:02 PM
az2008

Bikes: Schwinn Avenue (Walmart), Former owner of Mongoose Paver. (I have the notable distinction of purchasing the last Paver!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnj2803
the only honest answer i can get is: to get away with the stigma of a walmart bike shallow as it seems, but true
I felt the same way. When I bought my Walmart Schwinn Avenue I rationalized it as not being willing to spend $500 on an activity I didn't know I'd enjoy. "Just a starter." For the next 9 months, I kept my eye open for an LBS bike. Test rode bikes. Watched Craigslist. But, in the end, nothing felt as good to me as my Avenue. I bought a Target Schwinn Trailway as my second bike (almost the same bike, branded for Target).

I also thought of an LBS bike as a membership card in the "real" bike club. Not just a better bike.

I think there's a general stereotype out there. I was invited to an LBS's maintenance clinic. I think they regretted that because the $119 Mongoose Paver I was riding got the attention of attendees with the $1200 bikes they bought from the store. The discomfort among the staff was palpable.

Like anything, the truth of this topic is somewhere in the middle. Department stores sells some junky bikes. But, they also have decent bikes in the $200 range. Another part of the stereotype is that many people who buy DSBs aren't "serious" riders and may not maintain their bikes, leading to failures. (I.e., it's not clear what the causation is: junk bikes, bad riders or a combination of those factors.).

IMO, the stereotype is mostly a cliquish "in-group/out-group" mentality. Just politics based largely upon reality (DSBs are lower quality, exacerbated by "uncool" people). If it means a lot to you to be part of the group, that may be a legitimate factor in your decision to buy LBS.

No doubt, you'd also get higher quality and additional value like a relationship with the LBS, professional assembly and maintenance. I personally don't find that to be worth the higher prices. But, I have a lot of free time to do my own. If I didn't, I'd pay LBS prices.

I also find the stereotype to be rather weak. Many people express surprise that my bike came from a department store, and that I've ridden it at least 2000 miles.

I think part of the stereotype is contempt for Walmart, not department stores generally. That's why you see people steer the discussion into "Walmart bikes." It fosters the clear "evil other" which a clique ("in group") needs. But, the bikes sold at Walmart are sold at Target, Sears, K-Mart, etc. It's really a "department store" bike. But, that doesn't sound as good. Not as inflaming. It doesn't incite the propaganda-like reaction that cliques depend upon.

I think the point is: Do your own thinking. Everyone has different wants and needs. The value proposition for a LBS bike or DSB is different. The biggest flaw of this topic are comments like "all Walmart bikes are junk." Or, "everyone should buy a LBS bike."