View Single Post
Old 05-06-11, 01:33 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Lights in the daytime are good too. I run rear lights whenever the wheels are turning (bright enough to see in the daytime).

If I'm rolling through an area where there is significant chance of pullouts or left crosses, I also run my headlight on flash. Since being almost hit by a friend a few days ago at an intersection where there was hundreds of feet of visibility, I had a bright (500 lumen) headlight on and there was no distraction from lights or other vehicles, and he said "Man, I'm so sorry, I didn't see you." I turn on a rapid strobe unless I'm on long rural stretches with no entrances.

A few days ago, a few days after starting this practice, I had a car driver in the oncoming lane pull into the left turn lane and start strobing her headlights at me, I'm sure she wanted me to turn off my lights, but I just waved. I achieved exactly what I wanted; she saw me. After last week's incident, I believe that there is no such thing as too visible, at least up until the point where you are setting shrubs on fire as your headlights pass over them.