Trouble
Sloth Hunter

Bikes: 03 Lemond Zurich (Sold) 07 Steelman Custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyK
The Cobb videos say you should lower the drop, so that you can take pressure off your sitbones. Aren't you then sitting on soft tissue?? Also, with the saddle tilted way up, wouldn't that kill your unit? How could an aggressive racing position be more comfortable than a more relaxed (less bar drop) position?
It does take pressure off your IT and No, you're not sitting on soft tissue, by that I mean your perineum. It used to be when I hit the 3 hour mark my sitbones hurt. It was because I wasn't sitting on them properly. I describe it better in my post with the attached image.

I don't see it as an aggressive racing position anymore. I see it as a balanced, aerodynamic position that utilizes the big leg muscles and allows me to use the drops and see down the road without neck ache. It's actually way more comfortable to me than the higher bar position and I'm an average 50 yo rider without great core strength.

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Objective is to rotate forward to keep a flat back because back's do not like a lot of lumbar flexion. Rotating you should still be propped up on your sit bones on the right saddle.

Since this excellent thread once again I have been suckered into playing with my position on the bike 'again'. Sadly I am a bit of a fit junkie and always tweaking my position on road bike and mtb...slight OCD searching for the holy grail of just the right fit...
I laugh only because I was adjusting my bike during every ride and worst, after the ride. Not anymore. Once I read and comprehended Hogg's and White's articles, burned the sheets from my so called "Pro" fits, cleared my head of all the BS rules of thumb and positioned my bike to me and how I ride, I've been much better off.
Oh yeah, and not messing with the position has helped a lot. It was adding to my frustration. After about 300 miles, I take a look at what I want to adjust and why.
I hope you find yours.

I was watching the Paris Nice race on the DVR and putting it in slow motion when the camera shot was next to the rider. Their saddle height is a lot lower than some of you might think... taking into consideration where they are sitting on the saddle and foot position.