Old 05-08-11, 08:41 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I am an advocate of rotated pelvis, increased drop, etc. on the majority of my bikes, which I guess means I should be advocating against the Rivendell school of fit & comfort. Great thread, but: the truth is my slower touring bikes (26" and 700c) and commute bike are set up to ride with a more upright pelvis, higher bars. The reason is: taking in the view and being a more neutral weight back position.

My impression is the rotated, out and down riding position tends to emphasize everything forward, it's about laying down power and miles. Great for faster bikes and purposeful rides, and for technical riding. I think it's one of the reasons why cross and MTB bikes have longer top tubes. The unrotated, compact and front up riding position tends to emphasize taking in the scenery, a more contemplative, light hands position - and, I'm not taking beach cruiser here, I mean saddle and stem somewhere around the same height.

I think both can be comfortable if the bikes are set up correctly. To my way of thinking the rotated forward, down and out creately improves the bike handling and power, and perhaps comfort if the ride involves any real effort. Almost a necessity for real MTBing; being upright is dangerous. However, the unrotated position can't be beat for fully experiencing the ride, commuting, and can be comfortable if the ride stays relaxed and the fit gives you enough latitute to make make some small changes in your sit and stretch position.

I've done centuries both ways.

So, my two cents is: buying into anyone's "correct fit" dogma risks something.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 05-08-11 at 08:49 AM.