Old 05-10-11, 06:47 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does Maine utilize May 9th as our version of April Fool’s day due to a late spring?

If not, this may help. While fishing in the Allegheny River we drag a chain in shallow swift water from the boat to keep it straight and to slow it down in the strong current. My drag chain is about 15' long and is tied to a rope that attaches to the boat. I purchased the chain at Home Depot along with a clear plastic drainage hose to put the chain inside. The plastic sheath keeps the chain from making a lot of noise when dragging on the rocks and keeps the boat form getting banged up. After many years of dragging the drain hose with the heavy chain inside there is abrasion to the hose but not significant loss of plastic.

One thing to keep in mind is the clear plastic hose needs to be big enough to allow the chain to pass through. The clearances of my chain/hose were such that I had to heat the hose up in the oven a bit, wipe the chain down with olive oil, tie a small cable to my car's trailer hitch to use as a "fish", put the cable through the hose and attach it to the chain, then pull the hose over the chain. That was a lot of work that would have been negated if I bought a larger hose or small diameter chain. Several posters have already made good suggestion on how to attach the chain to the tire.

Using my hosed sheathed chain method seems like a lot of work but pulling a tire up a hill with a bicycle, to do intervals, would justify it.

Please post images or a YouTube video of the finished product.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 05-10-11 at 06:50 AM.