Old 05-11-11, 02:14 PM
goodchap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of questions from a newbie to commuting

I use a mtb that has been rescued from the bin. Its a noname pos, but have been doing the job for 3 weeks now on a daily 10 mile round trip (its been 4 months since i got it but only used til now to do light shopping in the weekends).
What ive done was to swap the 2 inch knobby tires with 1.5 inch slicks, new saddle, and brake shoes, clean and oil it, thats all it needed.

Now:
Its a 17.5" frame with 26" tires. I`m 5`11" and Ive raised the seatpost to the maximum height possible (leaving about 2 inches inside the frame) but my knees are still bent while pedalling and can only fully extend them if I stand up.
-Is that normal? Is that frame the right size for me?

But I want to go faster. My biggest issue at the moment is headwind. I would love to buy a road bike, but can`t afford one right now. Would it be possible, given the frame size and my height, to install drop handlebars for a more aerodinamic position, without having to hunch my back to fit between the handlebars and the seat?

Given if I could find some thinner rims, are there any tires less wider than 1.5 inches? I cant really put anything narrower than 1.5" at the rims the bikes having right now. I want more speed, I dont do any tracks or downhill, not even light offroading (I used to do, 10 years ago, with my first mtb, but quickly realised that it wasnt my cup of tea, speeding on tarmac is what I really like).

I only try to just slightly convert my bike without spending too much since theres no point and the frame size seems a bit small for me, this is just until I can afford a road bike.

Im sure i have more questions, but would be happy if someone in the knowledge would clear these for me atm, thanks.

When i got it:

And now: