Thread: Tour of Ca
View Single Post
Old 05-18-11, 02:20 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
These pro cycle races are fantastic. You get to your viewing point of choice hours before the pelaton is going to pass and Don't move. The TDF came local to me and the Mountain was the point I decided to go to. Seems that plenty of my "Local" cycling aquaintances were at the same point so I did have the occasion to see the stands- (Mainly Burger stands) see the town and find the loos. The TDF is exceptional but the build up before the race- the "Ambience" of the people around you and the spectacle of the event is something that every cyclist should experience.

Then the riders approach and they are gone. Couple of minutes and it is over but I would not miss it if I have the chance to see it again.

First pic is of the mountain finish-Only a slope really- taken in the morning and second is of the pelaton passing.

But if you want the real experience it has to be in France. Seen it twice live over there and once on holiday and had two weeks in a Bar with double the number of locals that could comfortably fit inside the bar every afternoon. The bar was best- after the locals found out I rode a bike and I was taking time out from the family just to watch the race with the locals. Pretty cheap too as The locals even bought in their own wine from their own vineyards and I had to sample the lot.

Surprised I could remember the race- but I do know the evenings were a bit hazy.

And any of the older members that can remember him- We even had our own version of the houseboy attending

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Arrive.jpg (26.3 KB, 11 views)
Pelaton3.jpg (44.0 KB, 13 views)
Houseboy.jpg (33.9 KB, 18 views)

Spike Milligan