View Single Post
Old 05-18-11, 02:40 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Hi Oli, Welcome! Your Pro-Am frame would have been one of the very last few Carlton's handmade in Worksop, the end of a 'Golden Era'. These frames were made to run 5 or 7 speed and so have a rear mech hanger on the drop out, but no brazed-on bracket for the front mech so you'll need a band-on (clamp on) front mech with the right size clamp if you want to fit a double chainring. You can run 5, 6 or 7 speed freewheels without any problems but to try to squeeze in a 9,10 or 11 speed without frame mods is asking for trouble - and why bother? The frame and fork are Reynolds 531 so it's a really nice light steel lugged frame with windowed lugs. It's your bike, so do what you want with it, but personally I'd build it up with a Cinelli, Ambrosio or TTT stem & bars, Campagnolo or Suntour gears and cranks, down tube shifters and aero brake levers with Weinmann side pull brakes - all from the late 70's although not rigidly period correct. My preference for wheels would be tubulars with small flange QR hubs - although a lot of people prefer the simplicity of clinchers and a Shimano HG 7 speed freewheel and chain. However, if you can find a Campagnolo Centaur or Daytona groupset from the early 2000's for a decent price, that would make an awesome build too. I wouldn't go any more modern than that though as there could be compatibility issues. Good luck, post photos on here please!