View Single Post
Old 05-18-11, 07:50 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So rather than pine away for a 3-speed that fits, let me share pictures of the bikes I have and like, but don't fit.

First off there is my Armstrong. I bought this 20 some odd years ago when I was courting my wife.

I thought it was a Ross and the model name was 'Armstrong' but a conversation here with Erasergirl cleared that up and I learned a bit about the bike. Too bad she's not still around.

I bought it for 15 dollars at a garage sale with a bent back rim and proceeded to ride with that bent rim the couple of miles to school to go to class. I had had a mountain bso a few years earlier and although this did not have the perceived flexibility of that bike, it was good for going to class and I was really fond of the style of it. Tom, I know what you mean about getting to know the bike, the mtn bike seemed like it could go places, but this bike even with all its faults out-performed it on the street easily.

There were times in my fevered early 20-something brain that I fancied myself one of the avengers on a bicycle spy mission. Silly but it gave an international flavor to my day that I really enjoyed.

Even with the bent rim and the wobble wobble of every rotation I recall being glad to have a bike vs. making the hike to campus. I even rode it with my guitar case on a few occasions.

Next up my Raleigh Sports. My wife actually scored this at an estate sale with a Schwinn Breeze. A great find at a great price. I sold the breeze a few years ago and am ahead in the deal. Got to like that.

Here is my lady sports next to my men's sports. It's hard to see that the women's frame is larger in this photo as the womans sports is missing the front tire and sitting lower than it normally would. I got this bike at a garage sale and it's in beautiful shape. You can tell it was garage kept and loved. It will surely clean up nicely when I get to it.

Here is my grandfathers Vista Cavalier, not english, but sporting a S/A hub. When I got back into riding a few years back I tried to ride this bike, but sadly my weight and size were too much for it. I noticed the wheels starting to loose their true and stopped riding it. it's a cool bike and sentimental, but not up to the quality of it's english stable mates.

Finally a size comparison of my 3-speeds and my mountain bike. A 25" frame really would be best, the Schwinn is a 23" frame and even if I find a 23" Sports, it's going to look a bit odd with that much stem.

Last edited by BigPolishJimmy; 05-18-11 at 07:54 PM.