Old 05-19-11, 04:46 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
John Cobb Saddle update

Since we are getting a new tandem (Pearl White Calfee that is supposed to ship tomorrow) I wanted a new saddle. I have been using a Bontrager "R" saddle that I have put about 6,000 miles on, 2,200 on our current tandem. I have a slightly enlarged prostate (many of us over 60 have this condition) so for years I have been cutting a relief in my saddles with a utility knife. The urologists approved and said it should not aggravate the situation. Strictly for appearance and hopefully weight reduction I have been trying new saddles, I tried the Specialized Toupe and it was only good for 10 miles, I sent it back. Was debating on what to try when I saw the John Cobb ad in Bicycling magazine so did a bunch of reading and decided to give one a try. I called John Cobb Cycles and talked to Warren, he suggested the SHC170. I initially thought it was a winner but the more I rode it the more I knew it was not the right saddle, it was putting to much pressure on my prostate. I called them today and talked to Ginger Cobb, after explaining my situation she told me to ship the saddle back and to talk to John, she gave my his cell number. John listened to my story and said that he would not have recommended the SHC170 but rather the Plus model. I sent the old one back and they have already sent me a new one to try. I am very I pleased with their customer service. Now I hope I am just as I pleased with the new saddle. If I did not have an enlarged prostate I think the SHC170 would have worked great, the slot in the saddle was not wide enough.

Wayne

Last edited by DubT; 05-20-11 at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling