Old 05-22-11, 02:36 PM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The LBS told me to just bring the bike in if I need to take the rear wheel off. Not helpful if I'm somewhere far from the LBS. I do need to look at how to do it before I go on rides where calling for a lift isn't an option. Apparently there's a c-clamp that people don't know they need to remove. Somewhere.

I put all my commute stuff on and did a little 10 mile ride today. I found I could squeeze the rear drum harder and it was more effective. It will never be a disk, but it does work better with more force.

Also, I read in the manual that I don't need to pedal to shift. How cool is that? It will take some getting used-to. For example, if I want to, I can go down a hill in top gear, stop, and just flick down to 1st. Upshifting is the same, but they warned to avoid shifting under load. I avoid doing that on any bicycle, so it's not a big deal.

I realized coasting is a bit different. It's so quiet! No ticking. Just the whirring tires.

Looking at the bike right now, I discovered I used a white wire tie for the cyclocomputer wire, and it happens to line up with the tire's reflective sidewall so the wire tie sort of blends in. Winning!