Old 05-23-11, 11:01 AM
RaiderInBlue47

Bikes: Ross Professional Gran Tour (SS Conversion)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a bike for college, touring and becoming car lite...

Hi, I'm attending college this fall and I'm wanting to go car lite. I love the bike I have now (80s Ross 10-speed), but it's sadly falling apart and not cutting it. I'm gonna have to upgrade.

I got about $600 in graduation money and I have a part time job so I can come up with some more scratch. I'm looking to have it by late July or so (school starts late August). My budget is $1000 ABSOLUTE MAX, preferably ~$800.

I'm going to get a Timbuk2 bag for carrying books and stuff, but I'd like to have a rear rack. I plan on doing some touring and I'd like to do occasional clothes or grocery shopping by bike, so I'll need some storage.Nothing over the top, I probably won't even get front racks. I will, however, put some fenders on, a computer and lights.

I love riding with drop bars and a fairly aggressive posture. I like to go fast, but I know I'm not gonna be doing a whole bunch of that with 20 pounds on the back.

I guess my #1 request is reliability. I want a bike that will work all the time, every time. No flats, nothing breaking off, reliable brakes and an overall rock solid ride.

Oh, and I'd like it to not be a theft magnet, if possible. I'm gonna get a nice U-lock and a cable lock and lock it up as strongly as possible. But it is gonna be on a campus of almost 25,000 students.

With that said, what are your recommendations? I'm looking at the Surly Cross Check with the Long Haul Trucker being the absolute ceiling of my money (actually a little over). Any recommendations?