View Single Post
Old 05-25-11, 10:17 AM
m_yates

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't say what lakes or your route. Last summer, I camped at Keuka Lake state park and biked around Keuka Lake. Hammondsport has a very pretty village square with a diner that has good food as well as an ice cream place and other shops. Watkins Glen is another village that is nice to explore. The state park there offers scenic easy hiking options, but will probably have lots of visitors. If you are headed north, Seneca Falls has a romantic bed and breakfast called the Van Cleef. I stayed there once and had the best souffle ever for breakfast. I camped at Cayuga lake state park near Seneca Falls during a bike tour on the Erie canal. The wildlife refuge north of Seneca falls has some options for quiet secluded hikes. Not many people visit the wildlife refuge and it is huge.

Of course, you have the option of visiting many wineries. The wineries are ubiquitous in the area. My favorite was the Pompous Ass Winery. Not so much for the wine, but the labels on the bottles. Maybe it only seemed funny because I had several glasses of wine in me by then...