View Single Post
Old 05-25-11, 06:20 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Pletscher two legger. I picked it up from Swiss Link military surplus online. Although intended for bicycle mounted Swiss units (finally disbanded about a decade ago) it appeared new when I received it and paid closer to $35 for it rather than the $50 they seem to go for elsewhere for new production civilian models. It also came with a black paint finish rather than the (unfinished?) silver the newer ones seem to be.

I have yet to use mine touring (still assembling my gear after nearly a decade out of the game) but am using mine almost every day commuting to work and riding around the city and urban trail rides. My major disappointment with it is that since I am often only carrying a single pannier my load is unbalanced and the bikes stability can vary from a little unstable to still needing to be leaned against something depending on the load.

I've probably put a little over a 1000 miles on my ancient GT mountain bike that it is mounted on, during that time it did work itself loose once and I was concerned about how much force I had to apply tightening it back down. The Locktite and wrap suggestion strikes me as a very good idea that I will definitely do if it works itself loose again. I'd be curious to here suggestions as to what to wrap the chainstays in, and old tube?

Back to the OP's original question - I have yet to cut mine down. At first the bike was nearly perfectly balanced so that I could choose to have her resting on the nose wheel or the rear, but the addition of a seatpost bag of tools and tubes means she always rests on the rear wheel now. It was nice to be able to spin the rear wheel when it rested on the front. So far I don't see much point in cutting it down.

Amusingly I lost one of the rubber footpads for it, but since it is on the opposite side that I usually carry my pannier on it actually seems pretty well balanced most of the time. Swiss Link sells replacement rubber feet for it should you need them.

Because of the continuing balance issues I am looking for a more stable kickstand as I was hoping to be able to load and access my panniers loaded for touring while she rests on the kickstand alone.

I will say it works well without much of a load on the bike or a balanced load. I LOVE being able to park ANYWHERE under those circumstances. With good locks and a kickstand I can basically park and lock anywhere, only being concerned sometimes about the possibility of someone tossing the whole ensemble into the back of their truck.