Old 06-17-05, 04:08 AM
Mr. Shadow
I need more bikes!!!

Bikes: 2 roadies, 7 fixed-gears, 1 hardtail, 1 full suspension mtb, and 1 hybrid...so far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
I really like the "look" of the Schwinn LeTour. Grant Peterson recently made some comments in the "Rivendell Reader" about why some bikes just look "right". And, the LeTour, with its long wheelbase, long chainstays, and the top of the seat about level with the top of the stem, has the "balanced" look of the classic road bikes.

And, for some reason, to my eyes, a 42 x 16 looks "right", much like the classic single speed track bikes of 1900 or so. A 52 x 20 provides about the same 71 gear inches, but seems "out of balance" when looking at the bike in profile.

What sort of hub and cog are you using on the LeTour? The best LeTour's (the Super LeTours) had nice frames and so would make sturdy, reasonably light single-speed bikes at a reasonable price. Some of the "thrift" shops in my neighborhood have had "like new" LeTours for under $50 with nice wheels with alloy rims. I suppose a good rear hub might cost more than the LeTour.
The Le Tour has a Campy track hub that's smooth as butta.