Thread: Opinion Wanted
View Single Post
Old 06-17-05, 04:51 AM
xodeuce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at buying my first road bike, and I'm in a bit of a pickle. I went in wanting to spend 800 dollars on the bike, plus roughly $350 on pedals, shoes, cycle computer w/HR (possibly cadence). Upon going in I was upsold to an $1100 dollar bike, the '05 specialized allez elite double. That was 2 weeks ago, now I've been to the 3 big LBS's and have about been convinced to get a $1200 bike, the '05 cannondale R700. I can afford it, but my big question is about the frame. I know cannondale has a reputation for building nice frames, however I've also been told that the allez elite uses the S-Works frame from a few years ago. Is the columbus frame as nice, or is this just hype? I know that I'll get some differeing opinions, but that's what I'm looking for. I just want to hear what other people have to say, because I'm really good at justifying a few more dollars here, a few there, heck in 4 weeks I could be up to $2k, but I know I don't need that starting out. I just want a solid bike that can possibly be upgraded in the future. Thanks.

Last edited by xodeuce; 06-17-05 at 04:53 AM. Reason: clarity