Old 05-29-11, 09:13 AM
Collin2424
Beach-Bound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I hammer as hard as I can, mash a lot, and the bikes take it. I can squat 400 5-10 times before I almost pass out.

I have broken two frames in my life, both on intense climbs, and both were Trek aluminums back in the mid 80's.
Trek fixed them both under warranty, but the bike shop refused to sell me another one back then. They will now.

My C&V bikes are pretty quiet bikes. My Kestrel and the Y-Foil did make some strange noises under major power.
In my experience, the wheels tend to take the beating. I've finished a couple of climbs with rear wheels out of true.

Collin's point about the QR is very valid. You really start to torque a bike, you'd better have the QR's tight.
Failure to do so is a very sudden stop when the chainstay, usually the L, becomes an outstanding caliper.
You are going down, and if you're clipped in, this is a classic collarbone crisis.

If I was nervous in any way about the issue, I'd get a different bike to ride, or maybe try an outboard BB crankset.
Very much agree. I'm not sure whether it was worn teeth on the QR clamp or if it was too rusty for me to get enough tension on it, but it wasn't fun. I didn't go over the handlebar, but I left a nice 20 foot long skid mark. Luckily it was in a public place where only about 30 people saw (and chuckled).

Robbie, you rode/ride one of those Y-Foil things? Oh man, I don't have the guts to!

-Collin-