Old 05-31-11, 02:18 PM
driftcafe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Road Bike Advice for PNW

Hello all,

I am currently riding an 08 Scattante Roma hybrid and I'm ready to upgrade to a drop bar road bike. I mostly ride on the Burke-Gillman trail and do some riding on city streets. I'm looking for a bike that will allow me to:

A) Increase my mileage (currently around 20-25mi) so something comfortable over the long haul would be ideal. My goal is to get up to a century ride so I'd like to get something I won't outgrow but rather that I could grow into over the next several months.
B) Climbing hills will also be important. (I’m liking the idea of the SRAM Apex wide range)
C) Fast and fun to ride.

I started off thinking I wanted a Specialized Roubaix which I enjoyed testing a few times but then I rode the Tarmac and it was much more responsive and ultimately more fun to ride. I also rode a Salsa Pistola that was a bit large and upright for me but otherwise the feel of the frame felt pretty good. A Felt z85 geometry fit well but not sure I want another aluminum bike. So anyway, I'm thinking that something more on the traditional road bike style would be better, slightly more aggressive. I'm open to carbon or steel.

So to boil it down my questions are:
(1) Does anyone have suggestions for carbon or steel bikes (preferably with SRAM Apex) in the range under $2000?

(2) Do you think something like the Tarmac or Masi Evo would be difficult to handle in damp conditions? I mean I'll have my old bike I can use in heavier rains (I live in Seattle after all) but I'm just looking for something a bit faster and more fun to ride and comfortable for longer rides. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!