Old 05-31-11, 03:51 PM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noisebeam
That is physically impossible or else you run at walking pace.
You think a bead of water will stop high traction rubber compound from getting a grip on smooth, solid surfaces? It takes 13 pounds of pressure to break a knee joint, a fact that came to my attention when learning how to react to life threatening situations by (imagine) breaking somebody's knee off. Go figure, my teacher has a degree in physiology and is a chiropractor (the joint-cracking type, not the voodoo-magic type); he's scary, he can tell you where every critical blood vessel and organ is, how to strike and where to strike and how hard to strike to destroy things and disable or kill people.

You're supposed to bend your knees if you experience shock in your knees. Runners know not to make instant turns; it can be done under full running force, but you're putting so much stress on the joint you'll eventually damage it, possibly even cause severe joint damage just by shifting your weight the wrong way as you come down hard and brace your momentum against the leg. You don't want to jump as high as you can and come straight down on locked knees, you'll severely damage your knees and hips dead-dropping weight on them. How fast do you imagine you need to move to cause knee damage coming down to a hard stop without bending them and shifting your weight to keep a stable base?

I do intentionally test the traction of both my shoes and my tires, often by running and then stopping hard on various surfaces, wet and dry. I'm actually fairly surprised you didn't take issue with vulcanized rubber rated to maintain structural integrity above the temperature at which vulcanized rubber breaks down. Of course I've seen even more magical compound: rubber soles that don't print, so you can trudge through oil and you leave no oily footprints when you walk out of it because the oil doesn't stick to the shoe. Beat that one. Mine aren't of that particular composition which, by the way, is also rated for repeated and continuous use in operating temperatures 300 degrees Celsius and below as the standard working environment.

Geeze. Shoes that are made specifically to spend hours a day in environments humans can't function in for more than a minute. Now I've got to wonder why...