View Single Post
Old 06-01-11, 05:20 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Funny about Suntour never being able to get their indexing right, which killed the consortium. I finally sourced a pair of Suntour Superbe 6/7-sp indexing downtube shifters (just like the ones on the eBay bike) to go with the Superbe derailleurs on my rando bike. They have a nice big drum which allows them to make the derailleur walk nicely across an 8-speed Campy Exa-Drive cassette freehub, in retrofriction mode. (I love Ergo shifting on the handlebars but I don't really see the value of indexing downtube shifters.) So, the other day, just to see what would happen, I yielded to temptation and, like a first-time visitor to Las Vegas nervously depositing a quarter into a slot machine, I moved the little dial to "7-index". And you know what? It indexed perfectly on that 8-speed cassette. Not just OK, but perfectly. (Sure, you get 7 gears indexed and the eighth goes beyond the detents and "indexes" against the limit screw, but it really does work.)

Fearing the risk of addiction, I quickly moved it back to friction and regained my virtue, but I still think, "My my my.... Whoo'd a thunk it?"
Thanks for the tip. I have an old pro racing Colnago with Suntour Superbe Pro Gruppo too. I will try the 8 speed trick over the next couple of days if time permits.

I know mine is an old Belgian team bike that I got from a bike shop owner friend of mine but he had forgotten the actual team name when I bought it from him. It's probably not a 'top flight' team though.

I am a devoted Campy fan but I always held a secret admiration for Suntour - probably because of the slant parallelogram rear derailleur and their 'underdog' status. I'm glad I have the Colnago.

I remember drooling over the Buckler team copy Colnago Master frames in my local bikeshop in the late 80's or early 90's. Nice colour scheme.