Old 06-02-11, 07:30 AM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Wow Miss Kenton, I'm surprised any of your acquaintances would not know better than to apply peer pressure to you, without being mercilessly rejoined. I'm sorry to have deflected your joyful post so off topic. FWIW I used toeclips for decades and I too avoided clipless until about five years ago and then took the plunge a few days before a century ride. Despite a few topples in the first year, I have never looked back. I have still kept toeclips on my beater mountain bike for icy days, when even with studded tires the chances of slipping are greater. However now when disengaging from the mountain bike, I start to use the rotating motion as if I was clipless, it's become so habitual.

The sound of a group of cyclists all clicking along as they walk and then clippping in almost in unison is to me like, "Gentlemen [sic], start your engines." (Now that could be unspoken peer pressure I guess. .)
You are correct, Jim, I normally don't succumb to peer pressure. For example, you might note my absence in the "what do you wear under your spandex?" "skin lubes" and "what is your height & weight?" threads. However, the clipless thing--it's what all the cool kids are doing.