View Single Post
Old 06-02-11, 06:54 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by UG7890
Hi, I am very new to road bikes and to taking cycling "seriously" ... I have recently decided to resurrect my long loved hobby (and get back into shape )
Welcome to BF! A lot of people have done just what you are doing, reviving an old hobby for fun and better health. Pedal on! Keep doing it!

Today, I bought a Shogun 200 for $100. Seems to be in fair/good shape, but I would rather have some pro's look at it and tell me what I should do. I figure this bike is a good entry level bike. (I don't know if it matters but it's a woman's bike lol) What do you guys think?
I'm not familiar with the Shogun models though I remember the name. But that sounds like a decent price for a rideable bike with everything in good working order. That's the key, of course. Whether it is entry-level or not doesn't make a whole lot of difference unless you are, say, trying to keep up with the A group in a club ride (which sure isn't my cup of tea, for what that's worth).

As to the bike being a woman's, the more common term today is step-through, and it isn't considered a woman's bike per se. With modern bikes all having a sloping TT anyway, there isn't any difference between a traditional "men's" diamond frame and step-through. If your bike is a mixte frame, good specimens are sometimes in high demand.

If you want advice on maintenance and stuff to check before you ride much, you should probably post a thread in Classic&Vintage. Lots of good folks hang out there! They also appreciate old and uncommon stuff, so you would find lots of mixte advocates. Pics would be good. If you start putting many miles on it you really need to be confident that the bottom bracket, hubs, and headset are clean and newly lubricated. That's not hard to do but it can take specialized tools and some knowing what to expect. Wheels should be true, etc...

Anyways, I am located around the Ashland/Framingham/Holliston area, so if there is any close by cycling community, I would like to get in touch.
I can't help you there, I tend to ride more solo. This is the right place to ask though!