Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
That's a good thing, actually, so you can use it more effectively in wet / slippery conditions, which is the only time IMO that a rear brake should be used. The problem with caliper brakes is that they are too powerful in the rear, and it's so very easy to lock the wheel when you don't want to. Someday maybe manufacturers will figure out a way to reduce rear brake force, perhaps by reducing leverage by using a single pivot caliper or smaller brake pads with lower friction material. This is why I prefer riding fixed in slippery conditions, and when I lived in snowy Michigan, actually rode a brakeless FG conversion. Of course, I ran a very low 60-65 gi, cross tires, and never went over 20 mph.
I take it that you have never ridden a bike with a British made speed attenuator...

It has just enough braking power to modulate speed and with an oil lubricated roller clutch does not have the overheating problem you get with other coaster hubs... but by itself you cannot panic stop or skid the back wheel.

If I had not fitted the front brake on Monday I might have been killed on Tuesday when an SUV made an illegal right turn from the middle lane as it would not have stopped me from hitting the truck or getting run over.

It will make for a great wet weather or winter hub and with a front brake the set up is perfect.