spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Herb
In planning a ride from Cumberland MD my last stop was going to be Boston, Does this mean that I could bike all the way to Pittsburgh and catch the train back to Cumberland?
Pretty much. For you the trial would end at Sandcastle in Homestead.

Here is what you do:

1. Leave Boston on the trail. The trail will go up and over a big hill.

2. At the bottom of the hill, you will see a Jersey Barrier. This is River Road. Stay on River Road and ignore signs for the GAP. The trail in Mckeesport is full of glass and pretty much worthless.

3. River road will pass under one bridge (part of the GAP) pass under that bridge then pass under a second bridge. River Road will turn to the left and up a hill. At the top of the hill, make a U-Turn and cross the 5th Ave Bridge (the bridge you just passed under) into Mckeesport.

4. Look for a street on the left (sorry unsure of the street name) I think it is Walnut St. on your left, Route 148 will be on your right. Make a left onto Walnut St. Cross the railroad tracks and then go through a large gate. It is not well marked but you will see the path off to the left. Look for the bicycle symbols on the pavement.

5. Follow the trail to the Waterfront. It is an area full of restaurants and shops. There is a bike path off to the right that runs next to the river but it is really not needed unless you want a view of the river. The traffic on this street can be heavy at times but it is very wide and the traffic is moving slow.

6. Somewhere around where you see the Red Robin, the road will start turning to the left. Look for several large smoke stacks (an old coke battery I think). Make a right past the smoke stacks.

7. You will see signs for Sandcastle Water Park. Eventually you will see pay booths for parking. Ignore the booths and ride on through. While not officially open, Sandcastle is permitting bike traffic through the park.

8. Exit Sandcastle and the road will turn to the left. Cross the train tracks and make a left.

9. Make a right and proceed up the street. Again sorry I do not know the name but I should be through there next week and will try and remember to get the names.

10. Look off to your right for signs for 837 and the Glenwood Bridge. This will be the one and only dicey section of your trip. Be careful, it is a busy and confusing intersection.

11. Cross the Glenwood Bridge into Hazelwood. This is Route 885. Follow 885 to 2nd Ave.

12. Make a right onto 2nd Ave.

13. You may see a bike path to your right but ignore it for now. There is a bridge that has been removed and you will want to pass that section on 2nd Ave.

14. Cross under the bicycle Hot Metal Bridge and start looking on your right for an entrance to the Eliza Furnace Trail (you will see a wooden ramp).

15. Make a left on to the trail and follow it to the end onto Grant Street. Make a right onto Grant and the Amtrak Station will be at the other end.

Let me know when you are coming through and I could meet you somewhere to guide you, assuming I have the day off.

On the other side of the Hot Metal Bridge is an REI so you might want to make a detour.

If you want to spend your last night in Boston, I highly recommend the Yough Shore Inn / Manor. Lynn is one of the nicest people you will meet on the GAP and her B&B is certainly the most unique on the GAP and pretty much anywhere for that matter. She has each room decorated in a theme. She has a Vegas Room, a Hawaii Room and a Gold Mine Room to name just a few. The whole place is truly a work of art and has to be seen to be really appreciated.

You can camp in her back yard for only $20 and includes showers, bathroom, breakfast and use of the common area.

Let me know if you want to stay there and I'll let her know you are coming.