steaktaco
bannned

Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2nd day fixed - question + observations

On a 48x16 - how do I stop without looking like john wayne walking into a saloon? I'm trying to not use my brake, but it's like trying to stop a locomotive while knocked up on kryptonite. tips?

feel free to skip the observations below – I'm just sharing for people interested in getting fixed.

yesterday I rode 10 miles and felt up my new machine, up and down. today I rode my standard 35 mile route. here's what I've discovered:

1) surprisingly, riding fixed is a lot like riding a bike.
2) they say the bike will throw you off when you try to coast – maybe true for people who coast standing with their knees locked. not if you have good riding habits and only coast over big cracks if at all.
3) they say it's more of a workout - again, not if you have good riding habits. I found I got less of a workout because my cadence was down to 60-75 when I was used to 90-100. I'm sure being over-cautious had a bit to do with that, but give me a break – I was terrified. anyway, even while I still did my miles in the same amount of time.
4) low speed control is amazing. given enough time, dodging traffic will be fun. but for now, "thanks but I'll wait for the walk sign" or "oh no, after you mr. hummer".
5) mounting is ok, but dismounting is awkward. I find myself asking "should I get off now? how about now?" "ok, now!".
6) yesterday, it took all of 10 miles for me to get my free foot in the stupid clips. I was so pissed I started calling it names. stupid f***in' clips. then my foot went in, and then I got claustrophobic and pulled it right out. today I used my egg beaters and it was a good thing. might get candies.
7) I'm used to hydraulic disc brakes (on an alloy frame, grippy 26x1.0's, road gears) so to me the stopping power of my legs combined with front calipers is nil and I treat it like so. I find that I'm looking for obstacles as far as my eye can see - today I found the red-gummy-bear-of-death on the path (yes, lakeshore path, I'm one of THOSE guys) an eigth of a mile away and was successful at evading him. whew.
8) steel IS real. I couldn't believe it, I kept checking back to see if I got a flat, the ride was so smooth. there is a really terrible section of pavement accross from Cabrini Green (dorms north of chicago's loop) that was so rough, it gave me carpal tunnel mixed with tickly hair. usually the worst part of my ride though today I felt ridiculous for cringing. try a steel bike if you haven't yet. but then again it could be the larger wheels.

hope this was a helpful read for at least one person.

oh, and yesterday, my coworkers complemented me on my brand new, yellow 10-speed.