Old 06-06-11, 08:52 PM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think what's even funner than this thread is if you search for "SMV FRAP" all you have is Beck and Forrester making the same arguments on multiple mediums.

FRAP is *practicable*; to me that means riding an aggressive position in the right lane that requires overtaking traffic to leave the travel lane to pass me which is the only safe way when the lane is too narrow to split. Honestly I have never come upon a roadway in upstate NY that was wide enough to split. Occasionally there are defensible bike lanes or clean breakdown lanes, but those are not the norm and can come and go within 100 yards.

Basically my goal is not to inconvenience anyone and if the lane is shareable then I share, but if it's not ( and most of the time it's not ) then I make sure my road position is aggressive and defensible from overtaking traffic who are all too happy to squeeze by me if I give them the opportunity. I can find nothing in the law that denies me that riding position until there is a line of cars behind me who are unable to pass in a reasonable amount of time.

Heck I got buzzed last week when I pulled FRA-possible to give an emergency vehicle right of way when approaching from behind. Driver of an unrelated car buzzed me at 40 mph rather than yielding right of way.