Old 06-07-11, 06:19 PM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Looking for info on '84 Trek 830

Greetings all! I'm in the process of restoring an '84 Trek 830. It was all original, a little rough, but generally solid. Sorry, I forgot to take a before picture before the disassembly, sanding and priming. Anyway, it has really smooth "Suntour SF sealed bearing hubs". Are these cartridge bearings or traditional cup and cone? They are so smooth and well adjusted I'm a little hesitant to tear them apart!
Second question: The crank is an SR CRC-T300 with an unusual inner chainring bolt. It looks like it's stepped down to a smaller size than a traditional chainring bolt, with an integral spacer on top ~2mm. Two are seized and will have to be replaced so I can replace the inner ring. The LBS just said "those are really old", couldn't help. Does anyone know where to find these old critters, or have any lying around to sell me on the cheap?
So you're asking, "why restore that bike?". From what I can tell it's the technical equivalent to a Trek 520, which is a pretty desirable bike right now. Besides, I'm fascinated with the early mountain bikes before suspension, bar ends, aggressive geometry...index shifting... when it seemed like a cool new way to get out on your bike.