Thread: Swift folders
View Single Post
Old 06-08-11, 07:21 AM
rickybails

Bikes: Brompton, Xootr Swift, Scott Spark, Giant Anthem, Yeti AS-R, Dahon Helios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have another question relating to the front mech bracket (I presume there is only one type available):

Has anyone found that with the front mech bracket, that when the front mech is moved inwards to it's maximum extent (i.e. the 'low' screw adjuster all the way out) that the cage does not move in enough to stop the chain rubbing on the cage when in bottom gear. I am running 9sp and I've checked it's a 9sp mech (tiagra), so the cage should be wide enough. I could move the BB more to the driveside but as it's already as far over as it can go, going further would require using a facing tool to grind away from the non-drive-side of the BB shell (and I'm not sure what the implications would be for a narrower shell). Also, moving the BB and hence the chainrings further to the right would only make my top-gear chain-rubbing-on-seatstay problem harder to solve.

Oh, the problems we face in the pursuit of folding bike perfection.

Apart from these little niggles, this current configuration of Xootr is the best yet (and I've gone through a few). I'm sure that the combination of kinetix 406 wheels (less than 1kg the pair - amazing acceleration) and Kojaks is slighly faster than the 520 Uriels/Durano. It's certainly a lot more comfy, grippy, lighter and smaller-folding.